Pages

Description


As it turns out life is complicated and messy and gritty and dirty. Call it simple or easy if you want, but you're lying to yourself to feel better. It's hard growing up in today's world, it's hard having friends who betray you or families that are hard to like. We all need those everlasting friends and those moments of clarity where we see our lives flash before us, and those times to be completely carefree. As we crash through the jungle of this life, we all steal a few hearts and break a few bones. But hey. That's life right?

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fires

It's been a whole year since I moved to Winnemucca. I still don't like it. It's as brown and dry and hot as ever, but I don't resent it so much. I would never consider living here permanently, but I think the next three years will be okay. Everyone told me that Winnemucca was beautiful in summer, that it really bloomed, but I think they're confused, because it looks the same. Not as bleak as winter- there are leaves on the trees- but it's still flat and sagebrushy.

Saturday night there was a huge lightning storm. No rain, which, being a Washingtonian, is a little strange, but there was just these huge cracks of lightning everywhere. Sometimes it was just a flickering light in the looming clouds, and other times it was a white jagged rip in the sky. Since our house is up on a hill, we could see everything really well. Then, I spotted a flickering orange light down amongst the lights of Winnemucca. Smoke began to obscure the flames. The lighting had struck a spot in the sagebrush, and a fire had sprung up. Before our eyes, the fire spread lightning-fast (if you'll pardon the expression). Soon it engulfed a large area. We saw the fire trucks heading in the direction of the smoke as fast as they could. They reached it pretty quickly, and in a matter of minutes, the fire was gone. It was a pretty amazing sight. Scary, but amazing, because it demonstrated the power and ferocity of such a fire.

Your slightly pyro blogger,

Katy

No comments: