Just in the last few months the full horror of the 9/11 tragedy has really hit me. I was 10 years old at the time, almost 11. Just before the event, I was in Texas, visiting my aunt and uncle. While I was there, I begged my parents to let me stay a few more days that planned, but they wouldn't let me. Two days after my flight back, four planes were hijacked. Two hit the World Trade Center, one flew into the Pentagon, and the other crashed into a field in Pennsylvania. I really didn't have any idea what was going on. My mom and dad gathered all of us kids in the living room and told us the jist of what had happened. They said that we might hear people talking about it, and that we didn't have to be scared. Not that I understood why I'd have reason to be. New York was a long way away, and I had no scale to measure the 2,986 dead. I didn't know about the bravery of the passengers of flight 93; I didn't know about the people who jumped to their deaths to escape the flames of the World Trade Center buildings; how could I know about the 9-11 calls, the frantic people trapped inside, who couldn't understand why no one came to save them; how could I know about the 400 firefighters who would die in the buildings' collapse? But it's hitting me now, and it makes me hurt inside.
This is a recorded 9-11 call from a woman named Melissa Doi. She was trapped in one of the World Trade Center buildings.
Melissa Doi: Oh my God, I'm on the 83rd floor! I’m on the 83rd floor!
9-11: Ma’am how ya doing?
MD: Is it… is it… are they going to be able to get somebody up here?
9-11: Well of course ma’am. We’re coming up for you.
MD: Well, There's no one here yet and the floor's completely engulfed. We are on the floor and we can't breathe and it's very, very, very hot.
9-11: I understand. You’ve got to be very, very careful… how they approach you, ok? Now you stay calm. How many people where you’re at right now?
MD: There’s like five people here with me. Everybody’s having trouble breathing, some people are worse.
9-11: Unconscious? Everybody awake? And its very hot there but there’s no fire there right?
MD: I can’t see because its too hot.
9-11: Very hot. No fire for now and no smoke right?
MD: Of course there’s smoke! There is smoke! I can’t breathe! I think there is fire because it’s very hot. It’s very hot everywhere on the floor.
9-11: I’m documenting what you’re saying ok? It’s very hot, you see no fire but you see smoke right?
MD: It’s very hot. I don’t see any air anymore. All I see is smoke. Please…
9-11: Listen. The call is in, I’m documenting…
MD: I'm going to die, aren't I?
9-11: No, no, no.
MD: I'm going to die.
9-11: Ma'am say your prayers.
MD: I’m going to die.
9-11: You have to think positive because you got to help each other off the floor.
MD: I’m going to die. I know I’m going to die.
9-11: Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm. You’re doing a good job.
MD: Please God. No. It’s so hot. I’m burning up.
(9-11 operator talks on radio)
MD: Wait, wait, wait! We hear voices! Hello! Help!
9-11: Hello ma’am?
MD: Help!
9-11: Stay calm, stay calm. Just don’t move.
MD: Oh my God. Find out if there's anybody here on the 83rd floor.
9-11: Ma'am stay on the phone with me.
MD: Find out if there's anyone on the 83rd floor because we thought we heard somebody.
9-11: Ma'am I already notified the lieutenant, ok? I already notified the lieutenant that there’s five people on the 83rd floor right? Very hot and smoky so they won’t overlook you, ok dear?
MD: Can you... can you stay on the line with me please?
9-11: Yes ma’am.
MD: I feel like I'm dying… they’re here?
9-11: Are they inside with you yet, dear?
MD: No.
9-11: Ok, Stay calm.
MD: Can you find out where they are?
9-11: Ma’am, stay calm until they get inside.
(9-11 operator talks on radio and tape ends. At the end of her call, Melissa can be heard yelling, "Help! Help!")
This is a tribute to those who died in the September 11 attacks; to the courageous efforts of those aboard Flight 93; and to those who are bravely carrying on after the meaningless death of their loved ones.
1 comment:
That is so sad!!
It hit me now to just how sad it is!
People died terrible deaths that day!
Thats so sad!
Post a Comment