Much of the American public, myself included, believe that America's involvement has to do with ulterior motives, not the interest of the Iraqi people. However, no matter what you believe, it's important to remember that our boys are over there fighting in Iraq. It is our responsibility, our privilege to be the ones to support them, to believe in them, to let them know we care. In a recent issue of Newsweek magazine (that I would not recommend to those emotionally connected to Iraq), letters and notes left by fallen soldiers were published. Some of them express love, others gratitude, all miss their families. But all the same they're going through hell. One soldier says, "I don't even recognize myself anymore." Another, "I don't want medals or to be a hero. I just want to come home and be a husband and daddy again." Still another says, "Sometimes I don't know what to think about all of this. It seems so senseless..."
Most of these soldiers were close to returning home before they were killed in action.
This letter particularly struck me.
"Well if your reading this I guess this deployment was a one way trip. I just have a few things to ask. Please don't be mad at the Marine Corps. It was my choice to join and come here. I honestly belive this is what I was meant to do. I don't care what the media says we are making a difference here. Know that I did not die in vain for some worthless cause. I died in memory of all those who gave their lives before me. We are fighting for those who can't fight for themselvs. And I think that is the right thing to do. Not all the people here are bad, so please don't fill your hearts with anger and hate. When I was a kid my dad gave me a Louis Lamour book, in the bak of this book was quotes from all his books. One that really stuck in head and I tried to live by since the day I read it was on courage. 'When ever there was trouble you never had to look back to see if he was there, you knew damn well he was.' I hope I lived up to that.
Another thing I ask is that at my funeral the Marine Corps Hymn and Amazing Grace is played with bag pipes. Nothing sounds better than the bag pipes playing Amazing Grace. I know that I haven't been the best son, brother, friend or boyfriend and I'm sorry. I f you can find it in your heart to forgive me. Ashley can keep my H5 if he wants. Another thing I ask is at least one of you travel to see the world and do the things I never got to do. This is really hard writing ths. There's so much I want to say and I'm at a loss of words. Just know that I have God in my life and I'm ina better place and Marines guard the streets in Heaven. Who else would God trust? Tell Ashley, Nathan, Kevin, Jason, David, Denis that I could not have had better friends. Tell Ashlea that I was sorry and I'm stupid and I really did love her.
To my family I love you all.
Semper Fi
Love Lance
This letter was written by Cpl. Lance Graham of San Antonio. He was 26. On May 9, 2005, near Haditha Dam, he was killed when a pair of suicide bombers hit his convoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment