I'd just like to say some things.
I am intelligent. I am entitled to the education my test scores say I am. If I want to go to Harvard or Stanford or Yale, I deserve the support of my family. It is my parent's job to say "I love you. I want you to do your best in everything. I want you to be successful and amazing and great and to go as far as you can. I will support you and love you no matter what."
That's what they're supposed to say.
Thanks for the "I hope you marry a rich man because otherwise you'll be very disappointed," mom and dad. Thanks a lot.
I'm so glad to know that you're encouraging and loving and that you want me to do my best and go far and that no matter what, you care. I don't know if you'll read this, but if you do, ask yourself some questions:
"Do I know my daughter?"
"Why is she saying these things?"
"Is she just being dramatic or does she really feel this way?"
"Should I apologize?"
"How can I get to know my daughter for the first time?"
"What is she thinking?"
"What is she going through?"
"What is high school really like?"
"Is her life really a cake-walk like it seems?"
"Should I try to listen more instead of doing all the talking?"
"Should I try to swallow the anger or pride I feel to admit that maybe she's a little bit right?"
And this time, it's not okay if you don't understand. It's not.
1 comment:
Wow. I don't know what to say. All I can think of saying is that I support you Katy. Go to collage you will do something amazing with your life, I just know it!!! Because you are amazing! And you don't need to marry a rich man to make your life matter. Your life matters even if you never get married!! I love you Katy!!!
Post a Comment