I'd just like to say some things.
I am intelligent. I am entitled to the education my test scores say I am. If I want to go to Harvard or Stanford or Yale, I deserve the support of my family. It is my parent's job to say "I love you. I want you to do your best in everything. I want you to be successful and amazing and great and to go as far as you can. I will support you and love you no matter what."
That's what they're supposed to say.
Thanks for the "I hope you marry a rich man because otherwise you'll be very disappointed," mom and dad. Thanks a lot.
I'm so glad to know that you're encouraging and loving and that you want me to do my best and go far and that no matter what, you care. I don't know if you'll read this, but if you do, ask yourself some questions:
"Do I know my daughter?"
"Why is she saying these things?"
"Is she just being dramatic or does she really feel this way?"
"Should I apologize?"
"How can I get to know my daughter for the first time?"
"What is she thinking?"
"What is she going through?"
"What is high school really like?"
"Is her life really a cake-walk like it seems?"
"Should I try to listen more instead of doing all the talking?"
"Should I try to swallow the anger or pride I feel to admit that maybe she's a little bit right?"
And this time, it's not okay if you don't understand. It's not.
1 comment:
wow. i love the new banner by the way. i gotta check this every day. im sorry... that is totally and completely unacceptable. and for that very reason, i know you will not stand for it. for that very reason, you will go on to do what they have said you will not and can not do. you will be greatness in its self. and one day, when they realize that they had no part in it,
they will be deeply disturbed.
i love you
Post a Comment