Pages

Description


As it turns out life is complicated and messy and gritty and dirty. Call it simple or easy if you want, but you're lying to yourself to feel better. It's hard growing up in today's world, it's hard having friends who betray you or families that are hard to like. We all need those everlasting friends and those moments of clarity where we see our lives flash before us, and those times to be completely carefree. As we crash through the jungle of this life, we all steal a few hearts and break a few bones. But hey. That's life right?

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Washington

Hi people! I'm actually writing this from the Arlington library in Washington State! I'm visiting Washington until next Tuesday and then I'll be heading back home. But Mary and I will be bringing my friend Lacey back with us to visit Nevada.

Early Sunday morning around 5 or 6, Peter, Mary, and I headed off on a 12-hour adventure driving up to the state of Washington. We stopped twice and- yes, I said TWICE in TWELVE flipping hourse- then we finally arrived in our onld neighborhood in Lake Stevens. Peter met up with Sam, Ty, and Theron and they hung out. Mary and I saw Amy again and that was cool.

Then we met up with my aunt who lives only a few blocks away from our old house. We hung out with Laurie, Greg, and my cousin, John, and spent the night at their house. Monday morning, John, Mary, and I said hello to all of our old friends from Lake Stevens. (Hello to Andrew, Adam, Aaron, and Kaylee!) We walked around Lake Stevens and visited our old haunts, HomeLink, the Library, the Lake, and the little coffee shop. (Which I highly recommend by the way. Get a triple chocolate chip mocha blended coffee. They're excellent.) Also, I checked out my old house and noticed that our old treehouse in the back has been completely demolished along with our porch. But they built a new one. And the apple tree, which was planted for my grandpa, is getting really big! I'm expecting to be able to climb it in a couple more years.

Monday night we all attended the HomeLink graduation at the LSHS. It was awesome. We saw old friends and old teachers, and met a lot of new people too. Peter and Sam were reunited and played onstage as music. It was pretty much AMAZING. I cried when Sam graduated, actually his graduation slideshow had pictures of my brothers and the boys back together and I was sad. But anyway. Afterward, I went up to Sam and I said, "Sam, congratulations! I'm so proud of you!" and to my surprise, he responded, "Don't say that, don't say you're proud of me." Taken aback, I asked why not. He promptly told me that he doesn't consider graduating from High School to be that big of an accomplishment. It sort of hit me then that he was right. We make such a big deal out of making it through high school and "overcoming all the obstacles", but really it's not all that difficult to read a few books and take a few tests.

The real challenge is yet to come. We're young and we have so much ahead of us, you guys. We have college, relationships, break-ups, marriages, and so much more that's so much more important than those four years of high school that will be left far behind us. High School doesn't make us who we are. We do that.

Remember that, guys. I'll see you in a few weeks, Winnemuccites.

1 comment:

Keshia.m said...

Wow, your comment at the end really made me think. You are so right, about highschool not making us who we are and that we are the ones who do that! We are the ones who makes different choices that effect our lives. When something happens we have two choices we can respond postively or negatively. And that effects everything. So you are very right Katy! Thanks for making me think!